window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments)}; gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-102181678-1');

Liberal Arts and Engineering Studies Program

Freedom to Choose / Freedom to Create / Freedom to Travel

Planning for Graduation

It is important that students do some advanced planning if they want to graduate on time. Students should refer to their chosen Cal Poly Catalog to ensure they meet all LAES degree requirements necessary to graduate within four years. The Office of the Registrar's website should also be consulted for up-to-date information.

Planning Checklist

  • Track your progress to degree completion by utilizing campus tools, such as Poly Planner and the Degree Progress Report.
  • Make an appointment with Sabrina Canady in the CLA Advising Center early in your senior year for a unit check, to make sure you are on track to meet requirements, including total upper division units.
  • Your LAES Concentration and Study Abroad Declaration form is specific to each catalog year and should be submitted as soon as your transfer into LAES is complete. Once submitted, revisions may be made. If only a minor revision is necessary, simply update the version that you originally submitted (black or blue ink only) and e-mail it to both LAES Co-Directors Michael Haungs & David Gilette (contacts on Program Directors) and CC to obtain approval of the change. A new form must be completed for any substantial revisions.
  • Your expected graduation term is noted in your student portal. If you plan to graduate in a different term, you must complete the Undergraduate Change of Degree Completion Term form.
  • If a Substitution for Major/Support Courses or other petition form is necessary, submit for approval no less than two quarters in advance of your desired graduation date. This will allow time for a final check of your updated Degree Progress Report.
  • Review the Career Services website for 24/7 resources and upcoming career fairs/workshops.
  • Take the Career Services Graduate Status Survey.
  • Be sure to return any keys you have in your possession to the Key Shop in building 58.
  • Update your contact information during the quarter of your planned graduation so we can keep you updated on LAES projects and alumni activities.

Commencement Eligibility

Eligible students may participate in Commencement and post-Commencement ceremonies.  Eligibility status can be found in your student portal:

  1. Log in to your Cal Poly Portal.
  2. Click on the "Academic" tab.
  3. Under General Degree Resources, select "PolyProfile".
  4. Scroll down to "Academic Progress".
  5. You should see an Academic Progress tracker where the percentage represents your degree progress (75% academic progress means you should expect to graduate within one year!)

Students with an expected graduation term of winter, spring, or summer may participate in the Spring Commencement ceremonies.

Students with an expected graduation term in the fall may participate in the Fall Commencement ceremonies. A graduation checklist and eligibility criteria are available on the Commencement website.

Expected Graduation Term

As of the fall quarter of 2015, undergraduate students no longer need to apply for graduation using the Graduation Application/Request for Graduation Evaluation form.

When students reach 75% of their academic progress toward degree completion, the Office of the Registrar will input an expected graduation term that is one year away. Students will receive an e-mail informing them that they are expected to graduate within four quarters. The expected graduation term can be viewed in the Student Center or Poly Profile. If you plan to graduate in a different term, you must complete the Undergraduate Change of Degree Completion Term form. Go to the CLA Advising Center if you have questions.

Related Content